(Reaper 1.0) No Turning Back

Warnings: Deaths, emotional vulnerability, captivity, possessive, and obsessive behaviors. If you're not quite comfortable with the aforementioned warnings, then we kindly suggest for you to read the other chapters that you're fine with. If it's still not suitable for you, then you could also leave this book, but we thank you for giving time and checking out this book. For those who decided to venture further in reading, we hope you enjoy it!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Darkness and the night itself, known to hold monsters as such stories became haunting experiences of the children to stop them from misbehaving and to be comforted by the pleasant slumber their parents wish them to experience sooner for them to also take a break with their own exhaustion of the day. You have been one of those young individuals that had been listening to the stories of the night, undeniably giving you goosebumps, and making you afraid, but for now, you find it as your accomplice. Though it remains incomplete and not enough to hide your presence, but patience is still rich within your being.

Every good thing takes time, just as most of the people would advise, and you really hoped that this attempt to escape would be your last one and would bear fruit to your efforts. Not only did you put so much thought into your escape plan, but you are not alone this time. With the help of your brother's intelligence and his own plan combined with yours, you became reassured that it will go well in the end. Though it did not cause you to let your guard down and to be dependent on luck. Just a few more hours left until the location will be raided and the darkness will overwhelm the surroundings that would aid you with your escape.

Being the greatest assassin not only has its advantages, but challenges also accompanied such title. Enemies that long to have been known as one are present in every corner and even those within the government wanting to pursue the criminal also compete to have him captured. Upon knowing and evidently seeing the dilemma you experience every day, your brother immediately came up a brilliant idea that you found having the highest probability of being a success. With enough time to refine it further and waiting for the right time to strike, you let your adrenaline rush aid you with your limited journey to freedom.

The loud resonance from the source of chaos starts to lessen in volume as you try your best to follow along the swift running of your brother. The intruders became a useful tool for the both of you, distracting the Reaper with different fights between varied enemies as it also bought you some time to make your leave. Setting your worries aside as well as a seedling of doubt starting to grow, you let your mind be clear of any distraction and focused on your path to avoid tripping. With enough training that you experienced yourself, you easily passed through different barriers the environment presented as you began to catch up with your companion.

Despite your distance, your figure was still able to be properly seen by the greatest assassin once he stepped out victorious from the different battles he faced. His hideout became a wreck with debris present in any area he would lay eyes upon, but he decided to let his gaze focus on the retreating individuals. If he wasn't so mad right now, he would have found the strategy almost brilliant. Though it would seem that he was just being underestimated with the poorly skilled people he faced. Being outnumbered was a challenge at first, but once he got the hang of it and discovered many ways to be successful, he acquired the victory quite a while afterwards.

Dead bodies piled up along the broken parts of his hideout, presenting as what he sees as trophies to further show his victory. Whether with weapons or depending on skills alone, each of his enemies had been defeated despite the disadvantages you thought that he would experience. The hues of gray had been mixed with scarlet, mostly still fresh and subtly running to create a horrific painting to present his worthy title. Carefully trudging past the corpses and approaching the open field of the forest, he pats himself from the dusts and small pieces of cement before safely hiding his knife, the only thing he will need for later.

"Run, my darling... while you still can." Not wanting for you two to create an even farther distance away from him, he began to race after you himself with ease and speed enough to catch up to the two of you in less than a minute, grinning wickedly as he thinks of the only way to make you feel devastated.

Reaper had enough of you trying to escape despite him threatening to kill your brother, having assumed that your desire of leaving him after being forced to ensure your brother's well-being under his care will immediately diminish. It looked like he had strayed too far of human nature, forgetting how determined and stubborn an individual might become if a certain goal had been  strongly set in their mind. Immediately noticing that his mentor managed to easily catch up and his clear victory proved to be worrisome, your brother was unable to properly think of another plan, deciding to give you some time himself as he halts his running.

Before he could inform you to continue doing so, he felt his body getting numb, jolting for a moment that brought him discomfort before he feels nothing. His figure remained standing still before it lost its balance as he begins to fall backwards. He was able to view his mentor having his palms touch with each other, revealing that he performed the maximized level of the stun clap. The effects of one of the Reaper's signature attacks also reached you, causing you to lose balance before having yourself kneel on the rocky ground, forcing yourself to not completely lie down through the remaining subtle strength your arms have. 

You only managed to lift your head once you hear the unsheathing of a knife before you witness the execution of your brother. With mouth open and about to warn him, it was clearly fruitless as no voice managed to escape you while your brother remained to have no full control of his limbs. It was as if he was made as a perfect target at the moment, though it lacked challenge for the person that is about to kill him. The moonlight caused the still bloodied blade of the knife to glimmer in the darkness, taunting you of your brother's unfortunate fate. The scarlet color had been added once the knife went through its victim's chest.

The supposed successor of the assassin is left to suffer the pain, feeling his breath slowly being stolen away along with his life while his mentor only coldly stared at his dying moment. Caused by feeling betrayed and angered, the Reaper had no choice, but to kill his student. It was not his intention to really do what he had warned you about, but he reminded himself that it was your decision. You are the one behind the horrible thing he is about to do and despite the warmth and subtle bond he had also  acquired within the presence of your brother as his supposed successor, he insisted that you brought upon your sibling's own downfall to yourself. 

Freeing his hold on the knife's handle, he takes a rose from his coat pocket before placing it beside the knife that is still pierced through your brother's chest as he seemed to mock you with it, glancing at you as he speaks. "I already warned you, but it seemed like you would like to test me. If the result is what you want, then it is what you would receive. You brought this upon yourself."

You are shocked and left in disbelief, while also feeling angered and frustrated beyond repair as you mourned for the loss of your brother while feeling immense guilt for being the cause of his death. The immense emotions are clear through the tears that heavily streamed from your eyes, causing your vision to be blurred as you remain your gaze focused on the unmoving figure of your brother. Deep inside, you had yourself scream out in desperation, wishing that all of this is just a nightmare and that you will wake up to see another day with your only family's companion, but the Reaper's approach was a rude wake up call.

His shadow loomed over your kneeling form, but you only focused on your brother's corpse despite the unclear vision you have at the moment. Even though you received a sudden harsh kick to the stomach from the assassin, the numb feeling of your body caused it to be unfelt. You are left lying on your back, staring at the starless sky above as the foliage of the surrounding trees brought a reminder of your loss, making you not notice that your self defense weapon had been grasped by the assassin. One of his trusted pistols is now back within the hold of its master, proceeding to be aimed at the thief as you remain unaware of such action.

Your desire to escape and your care with your well-being started to vanish, leaving a husk version of yourself as your surrender can be seen through your now blank features. The glossy state it acquired through the salty liquid was the only thing that brought life to your now dull eyes. As the Reaper is about to shoot you, having enough to get rid of his feelings for you, your vulnerability caused him to give you another and last chance. You are already broken that gave him the best opportunity to have you once more and perhaps for the last time. The unfortunate turn of events cannot be undone because there is no turning back now.