Doubt

Head canon: when you doubt yourself, L always steps in and tries to make you feel better.

Misa had managed to drag the whole taskforce out shopping. Most people agreed only because they needed new things, but L only came along because he was practically dragged out the door by Misa and forced into the car.

He didn't seem to be enjoying it. He was trailing behind the group a little, Misa leading the taskforce around. He really wanted to go home.

You on the other hand didn't really care about having to go out. You were just looking at outfits in the windows and wondering how much the cost.

But you stopped in your tracks when you saw the cutest dress you'd ever seen on a manikin. You didn't even like dresses that much, but this one was amazing. It was baby pink with white lace on the trip and went down to the knees, there were some frilly straps and a little bow in the front, some black ribbon held the sides up a little in bunches.

You just stared at it...

Wishing you'd look good in it... but there was a voice in your head saying you'd look awful in it, no matter hie hard you tried to make it work.

L noticed you weren't trailing behind next to him and looked over his shoulder to see you staring at the dress. He walked over to get a closer look.

"A dress? I didn't think you liked dresses?" He said.

"Huh? Oh. I don't really, but this one is nice" you replied, noticing his presence.

"It is quite pretty. If you like it so much you should get it, it's only $25"

"No... I look awful in dresses"

L didn't know how to respond to that.

"Anything that shows too much skin, or had a body line I can't wear... I look awful as it is, it'll just make it worse"

He was in utter shock at your words, how could you say that about yourself? You were so blind to your own beauty...

"Not to mention I'm so pale it makes me look like a snowman, no amount of makeup will cover that... I just look too gross to wear anything other than clothes that hide my whole body..."

It was silent for a moment.

"No"

"Huh?"

"NO"

You were taken back a little upon hearing L raise his voice at you. You instantly worried you might have done something wrong.

"How could you say that? How dare you say that!" He exclaimed.

You were so confused.

"Don't you dare say you're gross because you are the most astonishing person I've ever laid my eyes on. Don't you DARE hold back from wearing something you like just because you don't think you'll suit it. You will, I KNOW you will. You're the most attractive person on this planet. You don't have the right to put yourself down like that-"

You had no idea what to feel. You're standing in front of a dress shop while L tells you off for putting yourself down and telling you how pretty you are, how do you even react to that?

"(Y/n). We are waking into that shop and buying that dress. When we get home, you're putting it on, and you're going to blow the whole world away in it. You already look like a literal goddess as it is, if anything, you'll look like a goddess, but in a pretty pink dress when you put it on. Ok? We're buying that dress, and you WILL like how you look in it"

You just stood there for a moment. What in the actual heck has gotten into L.

"B-but-"

"Nope, I don't want to hear it" he began.

He took a step closer and his look of determination changed to a softer one, a smile. He looked down at you and put a hand against your cheek, caressing it.

"(Y/n), you're the most beautiful person I've ever seen. Don't ever doubt yourself, it makes me sad to see that you don't like the way you look when you don't have a single reason too. You're amazing, gorgeous, beautiful, perfect, pretty, astonishing"

You wanted to cry. Even if this was a side of L you'd never seen, and were kind of confused about, his words melted your heart.

"Ok" you replied, smiling up at him.

"Don't ever doubt yourself again ok?"

"Ok"

He gave you a smile.

The moment just seemed too perfect, and it seemed like you both knew, as if you'd read each others minds, your lips met and you both melted into a gentle kiss. Time seemed to slow down as you just took it in and enjoyed the moment.

"Woah! What's happening here?!"

The sudden sound of Misas voice made you both quickly break away to see the whole taskforce just staring in shock.

"I'm convincing her to buy a dress" L said, in his usual flat monotone voice, not even phased.

"U-uh...let's go get that dress" you said, quickly pulling him into the shop.

As you entered the shop you felt all warm and fuzzy inside, letting out a little giggle.

"What?" L giggled back.

"It's nothing"

You definitely felt better about yourself now, L had just given you a massive confidence boost. You picked up the dress in your size and went to try it on.

You looked in the mirror and scanned yourself down, not sure what to make of it just yet. You took a breath and stepped out of the dressing room to show L.

"So?" You asked.

"See! I told you you'd look amazing!"

You smiled, not knowing literally everyone was watching.

"Look at them, they're so in love. Man, as much as I love Kira. I hope he spares them until they're married at least" Misa said.

Everyone just looked at her in confusion.

"What? They're obviously soulmates"