The pronunciation of 'Lawliet'

First I wanna say, I'm not bullshitting this. Three years ago when I first learned L's name, I wanted to know how to pronounce it so I actually researched the name itself.

So. Me and 90% of the fandom say it as "Law-Lee-et".

WE FUCKING KNOW. YOU DONT HAVE TO COMMENT "iTs LoWlIgHt" ALL THE TIME.

So let me explain why our kind pronounce it that way.

The symbols for L's name is エル・ローライト pronounced as Eru Rōraito. (roar-rai-to)

In Japan, they replace the L sound with Rs so it'd be Lowlight in English. So yes, taken from Japanese, it is said as Lowlight, in Japan "Rōraito" would be the correct way to say it.

BUT.

The name Lawliet is a western name, its English. So in western parts, Law-lee-et is correct. Remember that L is British, and lived in England for s good chunk of his life so having an English name isn't out of the ordinary.

So Lowlight, Rōraito and Lawliet are all correct in different parts of the world, how you pronounce it depends on where you're from. Some places even say it like "Law-Leet" or "Law-Lee-yet".

All names can be pronounced in various ways depending on where you're from.

Another reason the fandom mainly says Law-lee-et, is for ship name purposes.

If fans say LawLight with the pronunciation of Lowlight, then the ship name will literally just be "LowLight" which makes no sense, how would you know of you're talking about the ship or the character?

Conclusion: Law-Lee-et, Low-Light and Rør-rai-to are all correct. It depends on where you're from.